Every month, almost a million Texans come to WIC to get the services, support, and inspiration they need to eat right, have a healthy pregnancy, breastfeed successfully, and raise amazing kids!
- Supports you and your child from pregnancy to delivery to raising a toddler.
- Shares ways to stay healthy by offering classes, children's activities, cooking demonstrations, and shopping tips.
- Connects you to other families to talk about healthy goals.
- Answers your questions about good nutrition for your family.
- Gives you personal attention from WIC breastfeeding experts, and extra benefits like breastpumps and special food packages.
- Helps you find other health-care services near you.
- Helps you buy the foods that you and your children need to stay healthy.
Texas WIC Food Packages
If you qualify, you will get a food package specially designed to meet your needs, and a Texas WIC card to use at the grocery store. It keeps track of your WIC food benefits and works just like a debit card. WIC food packages are full of the nutrients your family needs to grow healthy and strong, like fiber, calcium and iron.
Your food package could include:
- Fresh and frozen fruits and vegetables
- 100% fruit and vegetable juices
- Milk and cheese
- Whole grains like brown rice, whole wheat tortillas, and whole wheat bread
- Healthy cereals
- Canned or dried beans
- Peanut butter
- Canned fish
- Baby Foods and formula
WIC refers clients to a variety of health and social services agencies and programs. WIC staff can help clients find these services. Some examples are:
- Food Stamps
- Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF)
- Child health insurance
- Family planning
- Migrant health services
- Prenatal care
- Texas Health Steps (EPSDT)
- Medical and dental services
- Early Childhood Intervention (ECI)
- The School Lunch / Breakfast Summer Lunch Program
- Food Pantries
- Literacy Services
- Job Banks
- Housing Services
- Parenting Classes
- Drug and alcohol abuse programs
- Child care
- Child support enforcement
Health Benefits of WIC
Studies show that WIC plays an important role in improving birth outcomes and containing health-care costs. WIC has a positive impact on children’s diets. WIC improves infant-feeding practices by actively promoting breastfeeding as the best method of feeding infants. WIC clients have improved rates of childhood immunizations and a regular source of health care.
- Improved infant-feeding practices
- Premature births reduced
- Fetal death rate reduced
- Low birthweight reduced
- Long-term medical expenses reduced
- Improved dietary intake
- Improved cognitive development
- Fewer premature births